Visa & Immigration Bali


Key Facts for Bali and Indonesia

  • Visa Regulations are based on your passport / nationality
  • 140 nationalities need no Visa (FREE ENTRY; see list below, max. stay 30 days)
  • Free Entry Stamp CANNOT be extended
  • Passport must always be valid 6 months (for social visa 12 months) from day of arrival. No exceptions.
  • Keep a page on passport empty for stamp or visa sticker!
  • Day of arrival counts as day one, day of departure counts as full day
  • Penalty fee for overstaying IDR 300,000 per day
  • Don't bring more than IDR 100mio in cash (ca. AUD 10,000)
  • In need of sponsor letters, KITAS, Visa extensions, etc working with a reliable agent is strongly  recommended

All you need to know about Visa and Immigration when you come to Bali

Even though, the visa requirements for Indonesia have become much less complicated over the years, still, there is a lot of confusion out there. We want to help you to clarify the most important facts if you wish to travel to Bali and Indonesia.

We would have loved to come up with a short article that would explain all the options very briefly, however, particularly if you intend to stay longer than 30 days, there are several options we need to address.
So, it's advisable to spend a little time on this article to figure out your best visa "solution". If you only want to visit as a tourist for less than 30 days, then citizens of more than 140 countries have nothing to worry about. See list below under section 1. Just make sure the passport is valid 6 months!

We do our utmost best to keep on top of the immigration rules, but we cannot be held responsible for this information or any service provided by any agent. The official immigration website of Indonesia is 

Main Criteria that define visa requirements

  • Your nationality (passport)
  • Purpose of your visit (social/tourism or work etc)
  • Length of Stay
Please check first below if your country is listed under the 140 countries (1.) that have visa exemption. If so, then you only need to worry about your length of stay. Below 30 days is no problem. If your country is not listed then you need to apply for a Visa with an Indonesian Embassy or consulate abroad (outside of Indonesia).

Car Rental, Tours, Activities & Guide Book

Fun activities to do in Bali
Fun activities to do in Bali

Fun activities to do in Bali

Adventure & activities, rafting, canyoning, family parks, tours and more 

Book Hotels, Villas, Resorts
Book Hotels, Villas, Resorts

Book Hotels, Villas, Resorts

Incredible variety of choices. Great offers from our partners.  

Car & Tour Rental
Car & Tour Rental

Car & Tour Rental

Hire car and driver to explore the island of Gods directly on 

Bali e-book Guide
Bali e-book Guide

Bali e-book Guide

Put Bali into your pocket all you need to know. only 2,95 instead of 7,95. 

Holiday - Staying less than 30 days

Purpose of visit: Tourism and Social Visit and staying less than 30 days. Check list 1.) below, if you are eligible for VISA Exemption. If yes, then you don't need to worry nor prepare anything. If your country is NOT listed then you HAVE TO to apply for a Tourist / Social Visa (B-211) in an Indonesian Embassy or Consulate outside of Indonesia.

Holiday - Staying between 30-60 days

If your country is listed under list 2.) below and eligible for Visa on Arrival, you can get a VOA at the airport and extend it in Bali once (+30 days). Or you apply for a 60 days B-211 tourist/social visa in an Indonesian Embassy abroad. If your country is not listed, then you HAVE TO to apply for a B-211.

More info on Visa on Arrival, Indonesia

Holiday - longer than 60 days

Several options here, also depending on your nationality. As a tourist, you can a few ties leave Indonesia and enter again, even the same day without getting hassled. More longterm options should be discussed with a Visa Agent; mainly Multiple Entry Visa and Social Visa Extension.

Visa Agent Services

20min Online Consultancy

Still confused? Having a complex case you need clarity about? Book your 20min online session (email or whatsapp) with Mr. Yusak for USD 19,-.

Immigration Consultant Online

1. List of Countries with Visa exemption

Free Visa Stamp - MAX. 30 days, NO extension possible, purpose of visit: Tourism & Social Visit only
Albania Guatemala Philippines
Algeria Guyana Poland
Andorra Haiti Portugal
Angola Honduras Puerto Rico
Antigua and Barbuda Hong Kong SAR Qatar
Argentina Hungary Romania
Armenia Iceland Russia
Australia India Rwanda
Austria Ireland Samoa
Azerbaijan Italy San Marino
Bahamas Jamaica Sao Tome and Principe
Bahrain Japan Saudi Arabia
Bangladesh Jordan Senegal
Barbados Kazakhstan Serbia
Belarus Kenya Seychelles
Belgium Kiribati Singapore
Belize Kuwait Slovakia
Benin Kyrgyzstan Slovenia
Bhutan Laos Solomon Island
Bolivia Latvia South Africa
Bosnia and Herzegovina Lebanon South Korea
Botswana Lesotho Spain
Brazil Liechtenstein Sri Lanka
Brunei Lithuania St Kitts and Nevis
Bulgaria Luxembourg St Lucia
Burkina Faso Macau SAR St Vincent and Grenadines
Burundi Macedonia Suriname
Cambodia Madagascar Swaziland
Canada Malawi Sweden
Cape Verde Malaysia Switzerland
Chad Maldives Taiwan
Chile Mali Tajikistan
China Malta Tanzania
Commonwealth of Dominica Marshall Islands Thailand
Comoros Mauritania Timor-Leste
Costa Rica Mauritius Togo
Cote D’Ivoire Mexico Tonga
Croatia Moldova Trinidad & Tobago
Cuba Monaco Tunisia
Cyprus Mongolia Turkey
Czech Republic Morocco Turkmenistan
Denmark Mozambique Tuvalu
Dominican Republic Myanmar Uganda
Ecuador Namibia Ukraine
Egypt Nauru United Arab Emirates (UAE)
El Salvador Nepal United Kingdom (UK)
Estonia Netherlands Uruguay
Fiji New Zealand United States (US)
Finland Nicaragua Uzbekistan
France Norway Vanuatu
Gabon Oman Vatican City
Gambia Palau Venezuela
Georgia Palestine Vietnam
Germany Panama Zambia
Ghana Papua New Guinea Zimbabwe
Greece Paraguay
Grenada Peru
Australia: In March 2016 President Jokowi finally signed the decree approving the much awaited visa exemption for Australia. After a lot of confusion and inaccurate reports in the media, since March 21st 2016 Australians also get a free entry stamp that is valid for 30days.

Most Common Visa Issues for Bali, Indonesia

Extend Once in Bali

Visa on Arrival Extension

You have Visa on Arrival and want to stay longer? Get an extension once here in Bali ((agent assistance recommended).

Info & Agent contact

Sponsor Letter Needed

Social, Tourist & Cultural Visa

Stay up to 60 days. Renewable 3 times for 30 days. You need a sponsorship letter which can be obtained through an agent.

Info & Agent contact


Social Visa Extensions

You have a social visa already but need or wish to extend it to prolong your trip (social visa is linked to the sponsor letter issued).

Info & Agent contact

Time is Up

Overstaying Penalty

If you have overstayed more than 3 days we suggest you get in touch with an agent to help you settle the case, without hassle.

Info & Agent contact

Visa Regulations Overview

Depending on passport and citizenship, there are following most common options visitors choose, when they come to Indonesia, provided, that main purpose is traveling as a tourist and not work or engage in any form of business:

Please check the country lists below, to see what visa regulations for Bali Indonesia applies to you.

2. List of Countries that can get a Visa on Arrival (VoA)

Want to know which countries can get a Visa on Arrival for Bali, Indonesia? Remember: Visa on Arrival is VOLUNTARY and makes sense if stay between 30 and 60 days. Then this is a good option, because it can be extended ONCE for 30 days, while you stay in Bali. NO need to leave the country.
Allowed for: tourism ONLY
Algeria India Russia
Argentina Ireland Saudi Arabia
Australia Italy Slovakia
Austria Japan Slovenia
Bahrain Kuwait South Africa
Belgium Latvia South Korea
Brazil Liechtenstein Spain
Bulgaria Lithuania Suriname
Canada Luxembourg Sweden
Cyprus Maldives Switzerland
Czech Malta Taiwan
Denmark Mexico Timor Leste
Egypt Netherlands Tunisia
Emirates (UAE) New Zealand Turkey
Estonia Norway United Kingdom
Fiji Oman United States
Finland Panama
France P.R China
Germany Poland
Greece Portugal
Hungary Qatar
Iceland Romania

Visa on Arrival - can be obtained voluntarily!

Until mid of 2015 the Visa on Arrival regulation applied to most countries. In order to increase visitors coming to Indonesia the ministry of tourism decided to change the rules boldly, and waived the visa fee for most countries, hoping that more tourists will come. Whether a visa cost of 35US$ was truly a deal breaker for tourists to come to Indonesia will have to be seen. So far, the income Indonesia lets go of, (35US$ for around 3mio foreign tourists every year) is quite substantial for this country, which needs urgently funds for improving infrastructure.
If your country is listed under section 2.) and if want to stay between 30 and 60 days, then getting a VOA VOLUNTARILY at the airport for 35USD and then extend it once at the immigration office in Bali (better use assistance of an agent) is a good option.

More info on Visa on Arrival, Indonesia

3. Countries not listed above

Visa regulations, Bali, Indonesia

If you have a passport from a country that is NOT LISTED above in section 1.) or 2.), then you HAVE TO apply for a visa ABROAD - in one of the Indonesian embassies or consulates outside of Indonesia
Usually you need a sponsor letter from an Indonesian citizen to get a visa. If you for many countries this can be arranged with the help of a reliable visa agent.

Usually it's difficult to arrange a visa for nationals from:
1. Pakistan (NEW: Sponsor Letter can be arranged with the help of an agent!)
2. Iran
3. Israel
4. North Korea
5. Cameroon
6. Liberia
7. Niger
8. Nigeria
9. Somalia
10. Afghanistan
11. Guinea

For citizens from the above countries it CAN be indeed very challenging to get a standard tourist visa. The local agent here in Bali can usually NOT organise a standard sponsorship letter; and tourists will have to go through the Indonesian Embassy abroad. 
There is one exception, which is called a Calling Visa, which the visa agent can initiate to process. However there are costs involved of up to USD 2,000.

Visas available: Single Entry Visa, Business Visa, Socio-cultural Visa (Social Visa), Tourist Visa, Government (Diplomatic/Service Visa), Multiple Entry Visa, Temporary Stay Visa

Visas are therefore issued to those travelers who are visiting Indonesia on government work, on business, for social-cultural activities and for holidays (purpose of visit).For further information please contact an Indonesian Embassy or consulate outside of Indonesia, preferably in your home country. Make sure you start to apply a few weeks before your departure and get all necessary documents ready. 

Counting the Days

How many days can you stay with a Visa on Arrival or a free stamp (visa exemption)?

30 days! You would not be the first one attempting to leave Indonesia assuming that you are spot on, but as it turns out, the immigration officer surprises you with a smile asking you for some extra cash - you overstayed.

Good to know:
- The VoA and free stamp is NOT VALID FOR ONE MONTH. It's 30 days
- The day of arrival counts as day one
- The day of departure also counts as a full day

Even if you leave or arrive 5 minutes after midnight, that "new" day will be counted as a full day.
Example: If you arrive on the 15th of March at 00:20 in the morning, you would have to leave Indonesia latest on the 13th of April before midnight.

Overstaying in Indonesia

In case you overstayed, it's not the end of the world. For each day you overstay you will have to pay a penalty of 300,000Rp per day, (government might raise it to 1,000,000 soon). Up to 3 days is usually no problem and happens quite frequently. you will simply pay the fee at the immigration counter without getting hassled (stay polite at all times and say that you miscalculated).

Many tourists end up paying the additional fee (penalty) because they wrongly assumed, that the visa was valid for a month. So watch particularly the months that have 31 days.
If you have overstayed for much longer then we recommend you to work with a reliable agent who will help you settle the case without any hassle or stress directly at the immigration office. More Info

Good reasons for overstaying?
If you have good and valid reasons for overstaying longer than 3 days (e.g. hospitalization, flight cancellations due to volcanic ashes, strike, etc.) then you usually still pay the penalty but you won't get hassled even if you overstayed for 2 weeks (higher forces were at work). IN some cases like the volcano eruption, the government will not charge for overstaying. However, very important, make sure to bring the necessary documents with you if possible, that can proof your valid reasons (hospital report, airline letter saying you could not fly out due to volcanic ashes etc.).

At the airport

We have gathered a few helpful tips for you regarding the airport at Bali, Denpasar (DPS). Things have really improved in 2015. Queues are getting much better, less people have to pay for visas, no more need to fill in the immigration card, no need to pay passenger tax separately. However, it's still good to know some of the dos and don'ts at the airport.

How to get through the airport at ease.

Planning your Activities in Bali

Bali offers an incredible variety of activities, that you should not miss, when visiting the Island of Gods.
We have selected some of the most fun and exciting things to do. You can buy a ticket or make a reservation online with us, and get some nice discounts too.

Activity Tickets

Working in Bali (KITAS and IKTA)

If you wish to work in Bali you will have to get an INDONESIAN company that sponsors you. This company will have to APPLY for you for a KITAS (limited stay permit card) and IKTA (the actual work permit).

Indonesia, particularly Bali is becoming much more strict nowadays with checking at the immigration at the airports the travel documents of people that come very often to Bali or leave for a couple of days to Singapore or KL and come back as tourists again.

The gateway for getting a work permit in Indonesia and to work on Bali, is the company that will employ you. Your sponsor.

More on KITAS and Work Permit