Bali Visa for Australians

Do Australians need a visa for Bali Indonesia?

The visa regulations for Indonesia have been simplified greatly over the last few years. Still, if you are an Australian citizen and you want to visit Bali or other places in Indonesia you need to be aware of a few rules and regulations.

Visa Regulations and Immigration rules for Australian passport holders

General Rule:
Your passport must be AT LEAST 6 months valid the day of your arrival in Bali! This is not negotiable. The airline already at your departure would have to deny you boarding the plane. Make sure your passport is valid at least 6 months.

Also, your passport pages must have space for the visa stamp

Travel Purpose: Tourist Visit
Most Australians come to Bali as tourists. Tourist visit means, you are not engaging in any form of business activity and employment that results in any form of payment, compensation or salary. You can't be employed n any form. 

Note: the rules and regulations apply for all of Indonesia. It does not matter whether you visit Jakarta, Lombok, Batam or any other place in Indonesia.

We do our utmost best to keep on top of the immigration rules, but we cannot be held responsible for this information or any service provided by any agent. The official immigration website of Indonesia is

Short Stay, less than 30 days - Australia

Visa Exemption for Australians coming to Bali, Indonesia

If you stay less than 30 days and have an Australian Passport then you do NOT NEED any Visa. At the immigration counter Australians will get what we call an Visa Exemption Stamp. There are no costs involved; it's not a visa in a classical sense. Yet, the stamp allows the officials to track your length of stay.

This Visa Exemption for Australians CANNOT BE EXTENDED. You will have to leave Indonesia within 30 days!

An Australian residency is not enough. You need an Australian passport to qualify for the visa exemption.

Length of Stay between 30 and 60 days for Australians

There are these two main options if you are a citizen of Australia and want or need to stay between 30 and 60 days in Bali (or Indonesia). Remember, the purpose of travel needs to be tourist visit or a social visit (no business activities that will make you receive money or get a salary).

a. Visa on Arrival (VoA) for Australians

Visa on Arrival for Australians is something you do not apply for abroad but simply purchase in the arrival and immigration hall after you landed in Bali or any other airport or port in Indonesia. This Visa is also only valid for 30 days, but it can be extended once (we suggest to use the help of a Visa Agent to get this done).

This option will allow you to handle the visa issues all in Indonesia, without having to go to the Indonesian embassy abroad.

Visa on Arrival Facts:

b. Social & Cultural Visa B-211 for Australians

Social and Tourist Visa B-211: If you have an Australian passport to get a Social & Cultural Visit you must apply in an Indonesian embassy abroad. This Visa is straight away valid for 60 days. It could be extended (also here n Bali, we suggest to use the help of a Visa Agent to organise an extension).

Social Visa Facts:

  • Valid for 60 days
  • To apply you usually need a sponsor letter (which you could get through the agent online, if you do not have personal contacts, ca. USD75)
  • Cost for the Social Visa: please check with the embassy abroad (always per passport)

  • Extension:
  • B-211 Can be extended in Bali for up to 4 times for a stay of 30 days each (More on Social Visa Extension and contact details for a reputable Visa Agent)
  • Cost for an extension in the Immigration office (IDR 600,000) ca. 45 USD 
  • Visa Agent Fee, if you use this service (depends on the agent, should be around IDR 350,000) ca.USD 26.50

Staying Longer Than 60 days

If you have an Australian passport and you wish to stay longer than 60 days or wish to come more often, or to get a working permit etc, we suggest you read first following pages and then get in touch with Mr. Yusak from Dewata Profesional, who is a very reliable visa agent who can help you in most cases.